According to the Centers for Disease Control, Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness and each year in the United States, on average, 5%- 20% of the population gets the flu. Here you can learn more about the different types of flu, symptoms of flu, flu prevention, and much more.
Vaccination is the best protection against contracting the flu. Everyone 6 months of age and older should get vaccinated against the flu.
Where to Get Vaccinated
Unity wants to make it as easy as possible for our members to get the seasonal flu vaccine. Unity members can receive their seasonal flu vaccines through Participating Clinics or Pharmacies.
Flu Vaccines for Kids
Pharmacists are now able to administer flu vaccinations to children. Unity members 6 years old and older can receive flu vaccinations from any participating pharmacist
in the Unity Flu Vaccine Network. No prescription is necessary, but we recommend calling ahead to confirm your pharmacy provides this service. Just show your Unity member card and no copay will be required.
Symptoms of Flu
According to the Flu.gov, symptoms of flu may include:
- fever (often high)
- extreme tiredness
- dry cough
- sore throat
- runny or stuffy nose
- muscle aches
- Stomach symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, also can occur but are more common in children than adults. Some people who have been infected with the new H1N1 flu virus have reported diarrhea and vomiting.
Flu Prevention Tips
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people
- Stay home if you are sick until at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever